15 Ways Turmeric Can Heal Your Body
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years to flavor Indian dishes such as curry. However, in recent years, his brightly colored spice has been popping up in recipes for smoothies, soup, and even face masks. While it may seem like turmeric is just the newest health and fitness trend, it is certainly worth the excitement. There are an extensive list of health benefits attached to this “spice of life”, which prove that it is more than just a flavorful ingredient. Here are a few of the many:
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Turmeric has the ability to relax blood vessels and reduce resistance to blood flow, which in turn, reduces hypertension.
- Increases antioxidants in the body: Curcuminoids, compounds found in turmeric, are powerful antioxidants which can encourage the production of antioxidants within our bodies.
- Improves Brain Function: Curcumin reduces the decline in neurogenesis and increases the growth of new neurons.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease: Turmeric improves the function of the lining of blood vessels, which helps regulate blood pressure and clotting.
- Helps Prevent Cancer: This spice can reduce the growth of cancerous cells, by attacking them at the molecular level.
- Helps Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease: Turmeric reduces inflammation and oxidative damage which are characteristic of Alzheimer’s patients.
- Treats Arthritis: Turmeric has been proven to treat arthritis by reducing symptoms such as joint pain and inflammation.
- Delays Aging: When applied to the face, turmeric increases the body’s synthesis of antioxidants, protecting from skin damage and slowing the formation of fine lines.
- Heals Bone: By reducing inflammation, turmeric protects bone tissue, prevents bone loss and speeds up the bone remodelling process
- Improves Stomach Health: The anti-inflammatory compounds in this herb promote digestion, and have been found to protect the digestive tract from bacterial infections.
- Promotes Oral Health: Rinsing with turmeric reduces plaque and gum bleeding, and also helps to reduce any swelling of the gums.
- Naturally Kills Pain: Curcumin relieves neuropathic pain by inhibiting the action of inflammatory chemicals such as interleukin.
- Treats Depression: Studies have found that turmeric is just as effective as the leading depression medication in eliminating symptoms of this disorder.
- Reduces Cholesterol: In a recent study, turmeric was shown to notably reduce participants’ cholesterol levels over a 12-week period.
- Clears Skin: Curcumin contains antimicrobial properties, which means that it can inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria.
The long list of health benefits associated with turmeric is seemingly limitless. While it is necessary to practice conscious eating and exercise regularly, it is equally important to incorporate turmeric into your healthy lifestyle. Whether you are adding it to a beverage, meal, or face mask, that pinch of turmeric is hard at work and should not be taken for granted!