Breaded Chicken Nuggets
Prep time: 7-10 mins., Cook time: 20 mins.
You probably thought chicken nuggets were off-limits. Well, think again! With only five
ingredients and absolutely zero oil, these yummy treats are heart healthy. No deep frying, no
wasted time or calories. Just finger-lickin’ fantastic!
8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 Cup Kashi 7 Whole Grain Flakes Cereal
1/2 Cup Kashi Honey Puffs Cereal
4 Tbsp. raw honey
Salt and pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet using nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place cereals in a Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, crush until cereals have the
consistency of bread crumbs. (You can also place them in a food processor.) Pour cereal into a
bowl and add salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Coat chicken strips with honey and dip them in the cereal crumbs. Line strips on
baking sheet so strips are not touching.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for 8-10 more minutes. Serve with your
favorite low fat dipping sauce and some Sweet Potato Fries!
Better Mac and Cheese
Prep time: 25 minutes, Cook time: 30 minutes
A Mac ‘n Cheese recipe that is under 100 calories, tastes heavenly and is good for you?
You better believe it!
How is it done? My secret ingredient — mashed yams. It gives our dish just the right
consistency plus tons of vitamins and minerals. Yams are good source of potassium and fiber, and
they also offer up a heaping amount of vitamins B1, B6 and C.
Attention ladies: Yams for PMS! The vitamin A in yams is a warrior against PMS
symptoms. And they’re rich in fiber, which will help to fill you up and keep you satiated longer.
4 C macaroni noodles
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/3 C cooked, mashed yams
1/3 C low-fat milk
1⁄2 C low-fat Greek yogurt, whisked
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Cook macaroni noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add whole wheat flour and
whisk, making a paste. Gradually add the milk and continue whisking until the sauce
thickens. Add the yams and continue stirring.
4. Add cheese, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Add the noodles and coat with the cheese
5. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and put in oven to broil until crumbs are a golden brown.
Sima’s Tip: Add chopped, steamed broccoli before sprinkling with bread crumbs,
or serve on the side for a vitamin-packed dinner.
Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Prep time: 7 mins., Cook time: 20-25 mins.
4-6 small red potatoes (do not peel)
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
bunch of fresh rosemary, chopped (no stems)
1 tsp. dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. omega-3 spread
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Keep 3 Tbsp. of potato
water and add it to a large bowl, drain the rest.
2. Place potatoes in the bowl with potato water and begin mashing. Add omega-3 spread,
salt and pepper.
3. Sauté rosemary and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add to potatoes and continue mashing until
they reach desired consistency.
Prep time: 5 mins., Cook time: 2 mins.
4 bananas, peeled
4 Tbsp. unsalted peanut or almond butter
4 Tbsp. melted dark chocolate
nuts, chopped (peanuts, almonds, pistachios or walnuts)
1. Slice banana lengthwise. Spread peanut or almond butter on one half of each banana
and cover with other slice, as a sandwich.
2. Melt chocolate in microwave for 2 minutes on medium. Dip each banana end in melted
chocolate and roll over nuts.
3. Place each banana in a separate ziploc bag and freeze for a few hours or overnight.